Genealogy, Pie and Scanning due to Covid

Let me tell you a little story. My friend's father passed away several years ago. Her mom was in the early stage of dementia. She had the task of packing up her parent's house and move her mom here. In talking about all she had to do, she mentioned her grandmother's genealogy. Loving family history like I do, I offered to scan what her grandmother had. She had mentioned there were a lot of pictures and documents. I was okay with that. She again tells me there is A LOT. I thought to someone that doesn't do genealogy a bin would seem like a lot. Wow! I misjudged this. She and her son delivered 13 boxes to me in October 2018. She wasn't kidding, there was A LOT!! 

I began by taking a quick look in each box. I pulled a lot of duplicate items that ended up being a box of "trash" but I let her decide whether she kept those items, sent them off to family or disposed of it altogether.

(This is long so here is a picture of fruit pie I made. Could have baked a little longer to darken the crust more but it was divine!)

I then started scanning pictures and got one box done. Holidays were coming and I packed it all up and put it aside until after the holidays. After Christmas was packed up and put away, I went to get everything out but I had no clue what I did with the scanner. It wasn't in the box and I didn't put it in either spot that seemed logical to me. Months later I discovered I put it under my bed. I don't put anything under my bed. I only found it because I was looking for my other sneaker that I kicked under the bed.

About the time I found the scanner I went from volunteering in an office to being hired. Silly me thought I would have more time since I would go in less frequently but work longer. Nope. Some office staff traveled frequently and I was scheduled to cover for them. I didn't mind but it meant this project was put aside.

A whole year went by with it not being touched. Then COVID-19 happened. I'll be honest, I thought we would be shut down for a couple of weeks, but I fully expected to be back to work by mid to late April. Now I'll be surprised if I'm back to work by the end of the year. 

I brought all of the boxes back to the den and spent weeks scanning photos and documents. I also created a tree for her on Ancestry. Everything is organized by family in the boxes and it is all back in her home. She has thumb drives with over 2,000 images and a tree with over 2,500 family members.

I am impressed with the research her grandmother did, the people she kept in touch with, corresponded with, and shared information with to gain all of the information she had and shared.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament