Please Stop Laughing at Me

Another book club book. I have to confess that when I read the editorial reviews, prior to reading it, I was less than excited. It seemed like it would be a rather depressing book and as of late I've been into historical fiction and the book club has been more light reading. Still a book you could finish easily in two days.

It was interesting to read it and consider my own school days. I don't think the bullying was ever to this extent, at least that I'm aware of. I had a time in 8th grade where I stood up for someone and was picked on for it. It dropped off, perhaps because I was right back at them. The person whom I stood up for, we were friends through high school and I never got any more guff for it.

It is interesting to consider her experiences. There were times it seemed logical that she responded or felt the way she did, other times I couldn't help but to think that she was foolish, naive and immature. Given that she was given a fresh start two times, it doesn't make sense that she would be the target repeatedly. Jodee portrays that it was because she was more mature and took the high road. I believe there is more that was conveniently omitted to enhance the victim role.

I don't see how the book can have an affect on those that bully or those that have been bullied. It is merely someone's experience in life that they wrote about. Not a book I could recommend on how to overcome or deal with it. The book is more of a pity party and not worth the time in my opinion. I think it sold well due to others looking for insight into bullying and how to prevent it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament