Smoky Chicken Chili

Now that we are in place that actually experiences cold weather, I am happy to make soups, stews and chili.  We actually had a couple of pipes freeze one night a week or so ago.  I had been running the taps at night but I fell asleep in the family room and never made it to bed.  My husband didn't think about it when he went.  Oddly, I expected it that the frozen pipes would have been in the storage room but it was the pipes running above the ceiling in the downstairs kitchen.  Our house has 2 kitchens, but only 1 stove.  I use that kitchen as my stamping/sewing room.

I digress . . . I haven't made this chili in at least 5 years.  The last time I made it we lived in New Mexico and I came across the recipe in a Southern Living magazine.  I called my husband at work around lunch time and told him we were having this chili, salad and bread for dinner.  It worked, he made the effort to get home at a reasonable time. :)

Smoky Chicken Chili

2 poblano chile peppers, chopped
1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
1 med. sweet onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2T olive oil
2 (14.5 oz.) cans zesty diced tomatoes
3C shredded or chopped smoked chicken (1 lb.)
1 (16 oz.) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1-1/2C low-sodium chicken broth
1 envelope white chicken chili seasoning mix

Saute the first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Stir in diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil over med.-high heat.  Reduce to low, simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.  Serve with desired toppings.  Yield: 9 cups

Toppings:  shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges, sliced black olives, chopped red onion, tortilla chips.
post signature

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament