The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I loved this book for a couple of reasons: 1) You could read a few pages at a time if that was all the time you had and pick it up again later and 2) the characters/plot were well-formed. The book is comprised of letters between a writer and her editor, friend, strangers (who later become friends). I enjoyed the witty comments of Juliet and in some ways, several of the characters made me think of Can't Wait to get to Heaven.

The story takes place in London in the beginning and then Juliet, the writer, ends up going to Guernsey after receiving letters from the people there relating stories of how the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society formed, experiences they had under the German occupation during WWII, etc. These stories intrigue her enough and she begins to form relationships with them that she decides to go there and focus her next book on it.

I found it to be a delightful read. I commented to one of my girls that I had never read a book that was comprised of letters before. I was corrected as she remind me that I have read Dear Mrs. La Rue: Letters From Obedience School. How could I forget? As far as children's books go, I have to admit I favor Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type.

post signature

Comments

  1. You haven't read C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters? You must!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament