Mississippi Mud Cake

I came across a recipe recently that was glorified Rice Krispie Treats.  They would have been glorified for me because they were chocolate.  They used the plain Rice Krispies but chocolate was added.  Rice Krispie Treats are okay, but you'll never hear me say, "Hey, you know what would be good right now?  Rice Krispie Treats."  I think of kids when I think of them and that is exactly why I would have been making them.  My kids would have liked them.

I called my mother the other day to ask her a question regarding the characteristics desired as a wife, mother, etc.  I mentioned her mother in the conversation and how she always thought well of everyone no matter what they said or did.  My mom then asked, "What do you think my mother would say to your question?"  

When it came time to use the mini marshmallows, I had my grandmother on my mind and ended up using them to make her Mississippi Mud Cake.  Yum!  Normally it is made in a 9x13 pan but this time I used a jelly roll pan and it was perfect.  This is a rich dessert so to have a normal square but half the thickness was perfect.  Not to mention that is lasted longer than 24 hours in our house. 

Mississippi Mud Cake

1/2C butter
1/2C cocoa
2C sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1-1/2C flour
pinch of salt
1t vanilla
1-1/2C chopped nuts
1 pkg. mini marshmallows

Preheat oven at 350 and prepare pan for baking.  Either grease a 9x13 pan or line a jelly roll pan with Parchment paper.  Melt butter and cocoa together; remove from heat.  Stir in sugar and eggs.  Add flour, salt, vanilla and nuts; mix well.  Pour into prepared pan and bake

9x13 pan - Bake 35-45 min.
Jelly roll pan - Bake 20-25 min.

Icing:
1 lb. Confectioner's sugar
1/2C milk
1/3C cocoa
1/2C butter (*use 1/3C)

Mix together until smooth.  (It is helpful to sift the sugar and cocoa powder. You can tell from my picture, that I didn't based on the cocoa specks.)

Sprinkle marshmallows on top of hot cake and put back in oven for 5 minutes.  *I usually make a single layer of the marshmallows, completely covering the cake.  Depending on the size of the bag you may have some marshmallows left over.

Put icing on hot marshmallows.
post signature

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament