Rock Painting

This week for Activity Day girls, we painted rocks.  These are some samples I did to give ideas.  The idea was that they would go and leave them in plain site when they are at the park, library, shopping, etc. to brighten someone's day.  We had a fun night of being creative with paints and enjoying talking and laughing with each other.  After they were done painting they played a game.

Fortunately here in New Mexico it is very easy to come across rocks that you can paint.  However, I chose to go to a place that sells gravel and bought cobble there.  I went with a small bucket that is a little bigger than a paint can and paid a couple of dollars for them.  I was able to pick the rocks out myself so I could get smooth, shaped, etc.  I rinsed them off and let them dry.  I put a base coat of white or black on some so they could get right to painting if they wanted to.  Some were left with no background color and they could paint a design on them leaving the stone as the background.  After the paint dried they were sealed.

I thought the emoji was fun and they would enjoy it.  The "you matter" rock I did because I wanted to show you could have words written on the rock.  The circle one I used the opposite end of various drill press bits to get the circles ranging in size. 

I had fun with this activity and I have a little cobble left over to paint some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament