A Smelly Topic

I seem to be slowly converting to making some of my own items due to the chemicals that exist in what is offered at the store.  12 years ago I went through a phase of making my own cleaners so I wouldn't have to worry about my kids getting into something they shouldn't.  I got lazy about it several years later and went for the convenience of buying.  About 7-9 years ago I started making my own laundry soap because it saved us money and still did the job.  Two years ago I started buying essential oils and used them with household cleaners I would make or for personal care.  I've moved on to a whole new level now - deodorant!

I started off by making the spray and the roll-on for myself and my girls.  We are 50/50 as far as liking the spray and the roll-on.  I prefer the spray but I'm very liberal with squirting myself and it probably doesn't last as long (4-5 days) in the bottle due to that.  I've never had any odor using the spray.  When I run out of the spray, I switch to the roll-on.

My first round with the roll-on, I kept having armpititus on my right side.  I couldn't figure out if I just didn't apply it well enough or do I have over-active sweat glands on the right side?  I added more of the oils and I haven't had a problem since.  It actually seems odd to me that the roll-on that is twice the size of the spray would call for the same amount of essential oils.  I'm perfectly OK with the fact that I've doubled the essential oils in the roll-on and I don't stink.

After using the spray and roll-on for a month or so, I decided to give the solid a try.  I've been using the solid deodorant for a week now.  I've never had armpititus with it.  As far as smell goes, I prefer it to the spray or roll-on (there is a smell with them, albeit clean, but a smell nevertheless).  My only downside with the deodorant is that it isn't really "solid" here in Florida. If I keep it in the refrigerator, problem solved.  I don't do that though.  I just raise it up a smidgen, apply it and wipe the outside before putting the lid on.  I've mastered applying it with just a little needing to be wiped off.  I think the reason it isn't solid because our house is set at 76 degrees, which is the temperature that coconut oil melts.  Perhaps if I made it 2T of beeswax pellets, it would be suitable for Florida weather.  Note in the picture that I have it raised a little bit, I don't have it that high when I apply it.

I believe I got all of these recipes from One Good Thing by Jillee.  Her sight is brilliant with loads of ideas.  Below is what I'm using and having success with.  The site recommends 10 drops of each EO.

Spray:
4 ml spray bottle
10 drops each - lemon, lavender, frankincense or tea tree EO
fill the rest of the way with witch hazel

Roll-on:
1/3 oz. roll-on bottle
15-20 drops each - lemon, lavender, frankincense, tea tree EO
fill the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil

Stick:
3 deodorant containers
1/2C coconut oil
1-1/2T beeswax pellets
1/2C baking soda
1/2C cornstarch
15-20 drops each - lemon, lavender, frankincense EO

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax pellets over very low heat.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and cornstarch until creamy and smooth.  Add essential oils.  Pour into containers and let cool.  
post signature

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament