Cleaning Silver

When my mother-in-law moved into her apartment she decided to donate these items because she didn't have room for them in her new place.
The items were tarnished and I thought it would take a lot of effort to get them clean. I wish I took pictures of the actual procedure but I did take before and after pictures.

I used 9x13 pans and a regular pot that I was heating water in. I lined all of the pans with aluminum foil, shiny side up.  I even lined one of the pots that I boiled water in to clean smaller pieces in.

Whatever container you use, adjust the measurement based on the amount of water you use.

1T baking soda
1T salt
2C very hot water (I boiled mine)

Stir to combine and put your silver pieces in.  The silver needs to be touching the aluminum foil for this to work.

Rinse well to prevent pitting and dry with a towel.
The picture above and below were taken after they were cleaned.  I have to say that the dirtier pieces caused the water to smell but it was kind of nifty to see how dirty the aluminum foil was from the process.
After I spent a couple of hours cleaning the pieces and she saw the picture of them, she wanted them back.  haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament