Petal Power

I missed a day or two of stamping this week finishing up a book that I've been reading way too long, but I'll get to that in a minute.

The first card is made with the stamp set A Rose is a Rose. Every time I use this set, I'm reminded of how similar it is to Cottage Rose that was retired several years ago. Cottage Rose was one of the first stamp sets I bought when I discovered Stampin' Up!

I took a close-up of the rose card so you could actually see the "thank you". I like the circle piercing. I used a Coke glass that my husband came home from a trip with. It was the perfect size.

Rose Thank You Card:

Stamps: A Rose is a Rose

CS: WW, Kraft, Regal Rose, Certainly Celery, Bashful Blue, Apricot Appeal, Parisian Breeze DP

Ink: Certainly Celery, Old Olive, River Rock, Regal Rose, Apricot Appeal, Bashful Blue

Misc.: Brads, Dimensionals


Flower Birthday Card:

Stamps: Pick a Petal, Stem Sayings

CS: Crushed Curry, Old Olive, WW]

Ink: Old Olive, Melon Mambo, Bermuda Bay, Crushed Curry

Misc.: Brad, Bling, Scallop punch, 1/2" circle punch, flower button, glue dots.

I've been reading to a chap in a nursing home for a while now. He reminds me of the character from the movie Up except that he is tall and lean. At first you will find him to be grumpy, irritable and he gives that impression that he has no desire to be around people. Once you break through and get him chatting, he warms up and you discover the most fascinating individual with some interesting stories of his life. He wanted to read this book and I was surprised because the person telling the story is a hermaphrodite. I wouldn't expect an 80+ year old man to want to read a book on this. His tastes seem to lean toward wars, usually non-fiction but he will tolerate a fictional story as long as it has historical facts. Initially I enjoyed the book, so much so, that I borrowed a copy from the library.

It started off well and then it became torture to read. I was continually told that I could stop reading it and asked why I continued. I can't explain it, other than to say I only recall ever setting one book aside and not picking it up again. I either love what I'm reading or think it will get better and keep reading.

This book covers three generations of a family with a genetic mutation in its bloodline. It starts off with them leaving their tiny Greek village and coming to Detroit America. It goes through challenges they face, work, family, fears, secrets, etc. Eventually, you are led to the sexual transformation of Middlesex. The beginning of the book has more of a historical approach, while the ending it more from a psychological view.

I'm surprising myself with this next sentence. I would recommend the book. Charlie said he wasn't better or worse for reading it. :)

post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

Christmas Tree

White Christmas Ornament